Friday, January 30, 2009

Pedal, Pedal, Pedal




Hubby and I try to read a short devotional before bed each night. Last night we came across a great one that I wanted to share with my "waiting" buddies. The metaphor was that life is like a bike ride. It's a tandem bike and when we try to control our lives, God is at the back of the bike. Things get good when we let God have the front seat.

When we have control, we take the easy way or the safe way and it's kind of boring. But, when God has control, he takes the bike over mountains, through rocky places and at breakneck speeds. It's all we can do to just hang on sometimes for the adventure.

At first if feels like He is going to wreck our bike. But, when we learn to trust, we realize he knows the bike secrets: how to bend for sharp corners, jump over high rocks and fly to shorten the scary passages.

It ends with this "And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places and I'm beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, my God. And when I'm sure I just can't do it anymore, He smiles and says 'Pedal'."

The book footnote says the author is unknown. I'd love to give him/her credit. I love this image. Just a word of encouragement for those on a crazy adventure, but especially those waiting....Pedal, Pedal Pedal!

Prov. 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

2 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great word picture! Thanks for sharing - it's exactly what I needed to hear.

Cindy
http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

Selina said...

Thank you for sharing this. Isn't it amazing what He shows us when we open our eyes and look!