Friday, June 13, 2008

Fun-Raising Friday

Back to looking for some fun to take our minds off the waiting! Today's topic is public libraries. Most libraries have some type of summer reading program for children. I signed my daughter up today and she got some great stuff just for signing up. She even got a restaurant coupon for a free kids meal. When she reads for 10 hours (or when I read to her), she can go back and get another prize and again at 20 hours. Plus, they do drawings for prizes, too.

What I didn't realize is that they have an adult summer reading program, too. You record everything online and they draw for prizes each week. The grand prizes at the end of it are really nice.

I'm a big fan of the public library. I love reading and I love free. What more can you need? Our kids section also has great free crafts they can make and a fun preschool computer to play on. They are having family movie night this week, too.

My favorite part of going to the library happens the moment we get in the door of our house. My daughter runs to a big, comfy chair and snuggles in with me for story time. We can't stop until every newly borrowed book has been read at least once. I love her enthusiam for reading and I hope she keeps that with her for life!

For some free fun for adults and kids, check out the public library this summer.

What's everyone else doing for fun this summer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spending a lot of time hanging out at the pool (you know, the little plastic one) & eating popsicles. Did you know they make peach flavored popsicles?

Michele said...

Suzy,
We love a little plastic pool here, too. My daughter has been asking since Feb. when she could get out the pink pool?

Peach Pops? Mmmm, sounds good. Count me in!

Yvonne Crawford said...

We go to the library too for the Saturday themed reading and crafts. love it. the kids love it...

Also - we just love doing the Lowe's free wood craft the 2nd and 4th Saturdays at 10-11am. I think, that's right. Last saturday we made a tape measure. I just love free activities that are really fun!