Monday, May 5, 2008

Monday Money Musings




I have a confession to make. I've developed an addiction over the last several months and it's a habit I don't want to break....... COUPONS! Coupons and CVS have become my newest entertainment. I was always a bit of a frugal shopper and used coupons when I had the time. At the beginning of the year, I decided to kick it up a notch and start really comparing my coupons to the various store sale ads and see where I could save. I have gotten lots of stuff for mere pennies and have started a nice stockpile. I don't think I will ever pay real money for salad dressing, rice, mustard, marinades, Hamburger Helper or canned tomatoes again! (That's my coupon binder above and yes, I know I'm crazy. Below is some of my CVS stash).




CVS is something I've recently started and it is so fun once you get the hang of it. Last week, I got 4 toothbrushes, 3 toothpastes, 4 deodorants, 2 packs of razor refills, 2 hairsprays, 4 Pepsis, 2 hand soaps and 1 greeting card for $3.45 and I earned more ECB's than I spent. (ECB's is the CVS money they give you back and you can use on your next trip). We sure are smelling good and have nice fresh breath here at the "good waiting" house!

The point of this confession is that one good thing we can do while waiting is use our money resources wisely. Most adoptive families find it a financial strain to come up with the funds needed for adoption. Fundraising is a good idea, too, but let's focus on how we can better use the funds we have and save money. I like to say that my hubby's job is to make the money and my job is to save it!

Another side benefit of my CVS addiction is that my linen closet is obviously about full of shampoo, bath soap, etc. I know I will be able to get more for free or close to free. I plan to use the extra as donations to local charities. I might make little spa type baskets for some of my girlfriends or new moms. While saving for our adoption, our family can't give much beyond our church tithe. This is a great way to be able to give.

If you want more info on how to start the CVS shopping, visit http://www.moneysavingmom.com/ She has a link on the right hand side of the page, called "CVS 101" which is very helpful. She is one of my favorite bloggers and has saved me a bunch of money!


Happy Savings!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I had no idea you could organize coupons! I thought you just threw them in your purse.:)
We like CVS,too.

A

Jenna said...

I would LOVE, LOVE to hear more about how your transitioned form casual -couponer to a serious coupon user!! I have been wanting to do this for some time, but have no idea what I'm doing!! :)

I tried to find the CVS 101 on the other blog, but couldn't find it. I'd be very interested in hearing more about that too! :)

Thanks- I have really been enjoying your blog!

Jenna :)